Live Arts Boston
Investing in individual artists for a thriving performing arts scene in Boston.
A strong performing arts and music scene makes for a vibrant city life. Traditionally, Boston’s performing artists—particularly artists of color and from underrepresented communities—have not received the same level of investment as artists working in other disciplines. Barr partnered with The Boston Foundation to create Live Arts Boston (LAB) to invest in individual performing artists and small companies to develop and perform their projects in disciplines like dance, spoken word, and music performance.
LAB provides direct financial support for individual artists and small companies. The program also supports the development of artists' artistic and business skills throughout the year. Artists receive one-on-one mentoring with accomplished performers, professional development from Assets by Artists, marketing skill-building, including the documentation of their work for promotional materials, and opportunities to perform and build their network. In the pilot year, local artists, in partnership with LAB, developed and executed 60 projects across the Greater Boston region.
Outputs and Outcomes:
- LAB artists, collaboratives, or small organizations are funded to create, produce, or present new performances for Greater Boston audiences.
- Artists receive practical, professional development to build their business and marketing skills for their careers.
- Artists are mentored by artists of national stature.
- Artists perform in showcases hosted by The Boston Foundation to develop their network within the performing arts scene in Boston.
To support three rounds of Live Arts Boston to provide grants, artistic and professional development, and technical supports to performing artists in Greater Boston
- Award Date: 9/18/2019
- Amount: $1,050,000
- Term: 36 months
- Program: Arts & Creativity
We are one of the nation's oldest and largest community foundations. More than that, we are a center of overlapping partnerships and networks—of talented, generous, thoughtful and dedicated people—working together to make life better for everyone in our region.